CBS have just sent TrekCore a copy of the full press release detailing the contents of the upcoming releases of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5 and Star Trek: The Next Generation - "Unification" on Blu-ray.
Here's the press release reproduced in its entirety:
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
THE FIFTH SEASON BLU-RAY & UNIFICATION BLU-RAY
Packed With Exclusive, Must-Watch Special Features, New Collections
Also Include Episodes With Leonard Nimoy as Spock
The latest high-definition collections of the iconic series, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® – THE FIFTH SEASON BLU-RAY and UNIFICATION BLU-RAY arrive November 19 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution. Packed with newly produced special features, the collections also include some of the most acclaimed episodes of the series, including Leonard Nimoy’s guest appearance in the celebrated, two-part episode “Unification.”
Set in the 24th century, the exploits of the U.S.S. Enterprise continue with STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIFTH SEASON. Featuring some of the most memorable episodes of the series, the season includes Paul Winfield’s guest appearance as Dathon and Ashley Judd’s debut performance in beloved episode, “Darmok.” The set also includes the jaw-dropping opening scene portraying the destruction of the Enterprise in “Cause and Effect,” and “The Inner Light,” the critically acclaimed episode that garnered the series its first Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation.
In addition to all-new commentary tracks on select episodes with some of the franchise’s most notable names, deleted scenes and a gag reel, the high-definition collection includes the newly produced featurette, “Requiem: A Remembrance of Star Trek: The Next Generation.” This two-part documentary explores the making of the series’ fifth season and focuses on the effect the passing of creator Gene Roddenberry, which took place halfway through the season, had on the show as well as the production family. The tribute to the late creator includes key cast and crewmembers sharing their favorite memories of working with Roddenberry and bidding farewell to the Great Bird of the Galaxy.
The collection also includes the exclusive featurette, “In Conversation: The Music of Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Jeff Bond, author of The Music of Star Trek, moderates the conversation between the show’s composers Ron Jones, Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway as the group discusses the challenges for writing each episode’s original score, working with a live orchestra and the team’s creative approach to scoring the series. The featurette also shares stories from behind some of the most beloved musical cues including the legendary Ressikan flute melody from “The Inner Light.” STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIFTH SEASON BLU-RAY features all 26 episodes of the fifth season, remastered into stunning, crowd-pleasing high-definition.
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – UNIFICATION BLU-RAY is a feature-length presentation of the fan-favorite, two-part epic adventure from the series’ fifth season. Over 25 million viewers tuned into the original airing of the episode, making it one of the most-watched of all seven seasons of the series. In the episode, Leonard Nimoy reprises his iconic role as Spock as both he and Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Stewart) venture on a heroic mission in an attempt to unify the Vulcans and the Romulans.
Along with audio commentary and an exclusive deleted scene, the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – UNIFICATION BLU-RAY includes the exclusive documentary, “From One Generation to the Next.” This newly produced special featurette takes fans behind the scenes at the making of the classic two-part episode and the introduction of Spock to the 24th century saga of the hit series.
Some further notes and observations on the press release. While CBS haven't included a full disc-by-disc breakdown this time around, TrekCore can expand on some of the information to fill in the gaps:
- Season 5 is set to sport a total of four new audio commentaries, highlighting the stand-out episodes "Cause and Effect", "The First Duty", "I Borg" and "The Inner Light". Commentaries will feature mainstays Mike and Denise Okuda accompanied by a range of writers and producers including Brannon Braga, Ronald D. Moore and Morgan Gendel.
- While mysteriously non-specific on the press release, we can confirm that the Unification disc will sport a feature-length commentary from none other than writer/producer Jeri Taylor. Taylor has long-since retired from talking about Star Trek and rarely gives any interviews making her contribution here all the more special. We've been reliably told that Jeri has given CBS one of the best TNG commentaries so far in "Unification", so anticipation for this single-disc release just stepped up a gear!
- Season 4's Deleted Scenes certainly deserved the praise we heaped on them in our review, so you'll be thrilled to hear that Season 5 is no different. CBS Digital have gone through the vaults and unearthed a boat-load of deleted material from a range of episodes including "The Inner Light", "The Perfect Mate", "The First Duty", "Ethics", "The Outcast" and more!
- After the rather abbreviated gag-reel on the Season 4 set, we're thrilled to hear that the Season 5 gag reel runs a cool seven and a half minutes. Time to start taking bets on how many times Michael Dorn tears up a scene laughing this season!
- We've already had a taste of it with the clip of the junkyard scene from "Unification" in the trailer, but the fifth season will mark the debut of CBS Digital's brand new re-tooled Enterprise CGI model. Due to the increase in complexity of many of the ship shots in Season 5 alongside a number of instances were elements could not be found, the team had to go back to the drawing board and re-vamp their CG model. The results are nothing short of breathtaking, and we're very excited to see the finished product along with fan reaction to the newly rendered shots.
Season 5 and Unification will be released in the United States and Canada on November 19, while Season 5 will see a UK release one day earlier on November 18. Like "Redemption", "Unification" is not being released by Paramount UK however fans can order from Amazon US safe in the knowledge that the disc is fully compatible with your Blu-ray player and your order will fall under the Royal Mail import duty threshold.
As of yet, we have no information on a German release date. Press releases provided by Paramount Germany so far would seem to indicate that nothing is scheduled in either November or December.
So what are you waiting for? Pre-order your copies of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5 and Unification on Blu-ray at Amazon using the links below. We'll have a whole more on these two much-anticipated releases soon, including some extra special behind-the-scenes features in the works that we're very excited to release!